Friday, February 6, 2009

...a new life awaits you... | epilogue

[note - if you are reading this for the first time please scroll down to December 15, 2008 for the first post of this story - there are 5 parts + the epilogue]


I wanted to take some time to share more about the preceding story. 
The version you've read is layered throughout with many streams of thought and different sources which all "coincidentally" intersected each other over a 3 day period in my walk with God, a challenging and trying, but ultimately glorious 3 Days at that.


So what literally happened:


Day One: Monday
I was asked to restructure my schedule.
This new schedule wouldn't leave adequate time for writing my book or persuing some other recent artistic opportunities.
"Good vs. Best" was used to guide us in our decision making.
I was angry. I was frustrated.
I didn't sleep well that night.


Day Two: Tuesday
I woke up late.
I was still frustrated.
Because I didn't have time for a full morning prayer time with God I grabbed a devotional to substitute - it was quick.
The passage for that day, December 9th, was all about "Good vs Best" - literally.
I hadn't picked up this devotional in over three months.

That night I chose, against my desires to go home and chill out, to attend my regular homeless dinner and worship service.
The pastor spoke all about "dying to self", "surrender", and of "Good vs Best" - literally.
I hadn't been to this worship evening in over 6 weeks.
I was clearly "getting it" at this point, but I still didn't want to follow.
I didn't want to give up my art.


Day Three: Wednesday
I read the devotional again, two days this time.
Again it spoke about sacrifice and surrender as necessary to truly live, to truly be fulfilled in who God created us to be.

That night I remembered a previous commitment to write - although strangely I didn't want to write that night. I didn't feel it. I wasn't in the mood. I was still frustrated by the decision I was beginning to see as inevitably going to happen against my will.
For some reason though I chose to go home and pray and write.
I was amazed and surprisingly fulfilled as words and ideas poured out of me.

After writing I discovered my friend's blog. As I looked at it, simply looked at it, not doing anything of my own creation, I began to feel creatively fulfilled as well.
The night ended with me writing one line as a comment to one of her blog photos. One line that wasn't even mine. One line that for so many reasons, to be discussed below, was completely and absolutely creatively fulfilling for me.

I went to bed knowing that I could join the group that I didn't think I had time for because I knew God would still creatively fulfill me, if I put Him first.

Hallelujah!


Speaking of Hallelujah, there are several other trains of thought running through the five posts telling this story:


"coincidence"
Scripture verses
"Hallelujah" lyrics
"Blade Runner" movie dialog


All of these have amazingly "coincidental" and strong contextual significance to the story I've just shared about my 3 Days. 

They have a significance in that they illuminate just how much God is with us and communicates to us if we are just willing to open our eyes and see our circumstances, our surroundingsour lives, and ultimately ourselves through His eyes.


...if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes...[Blade Runner] 


coincidence...?




[check back for more explanation to come]




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brian keep updating this blog, please. i love reading it.